Every month or two, the Odyssey Writing Workshop releases new podcasts created from excerpts from lectures given by guest writers, editors, and agents at the Odyssey Writing Workshop. Each one is ten to fifteen minutes long.
Our two newest podcasts feature authors and guest lecturers Alexander Jablokov (Brain Thief), from the 2014 summer workshop, and Holly Black (The Spiderwick Chronicles), from the 2013 summer workshop. Alexander discusses how a character functions within a plot, and the many conventions authors use to present believable characters, while Holly explains how to create a magic system.
Other available podcasts include:
- Carrie Vaughn: Goal-setting for writers (#38)
- Lori Perkins: Agents, what they do, and what to look for in an agent (#37)
- Sheila Williams: Qualities of short story openings (#74)
- Nancy Holder: Short fiction and novel contracts; advances and royalties (#72 & #73)
- Lane Robins: Outlining techniques (#64)
- Craig Shaw Gardner: Writing humor in science fiction and fantasy (#18)
- Melissa Scott: Worldbuilding techniques (#5 & #21)
These podcasts and many more are available for free on the Odyssey Podcast page at http://www.sff.net/odyssey/podcasts.html. Here you may browse and download podcasts, or subscribe to podcasts so you automatically receive them upon release.
Odyssey Podcasts can also be found in the iTunes store (for free): https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/odyssey-sf-f-writing-workshop/id213992784?mt=2.